Many patients call us to learn more about how laser tattoo removal works. We hope this list of Common Questions will help you learn more about the procedure and feel confident in visiting our Denver tattoo removal clinic.
How Laser Tattoo Removal Works
Why use a laser to remove a tattoo?
Lasers emit energy in the form of light which is absorbed by the pigment in the tattoo, much like the way heat from the rays of the sun are absorbed by different colors. The absorption of the light causes the pigment to become disturbed.
What kind of laser is used to remove a tattoo?
The Denver Tattoo Removal Experts – What Were You Inking? uses the world’s most advanced tattoo removal laser – Astanza Trinity Tattoo Removal Laser. This Q-switched Nd:YAG laser is highly effective at removing a wide range of colored ink, with only minimal side effects. This laser is FDA-approved for the removal of dermal pigmentation.
How exactly does the laser remove tattoo ink?
The laser energy is directed at the pigment of the tattoo and short pulses of energy pass harmlessly through the outer layers of the skin to disturb the pigment and cause it to break apart. After the pigment has been broken apart it can be absorbed by your body and broken down naturally and removed by the body’s immune system. Laser tattoo removal requires multiple sessions. The Astanza Trinity is the most effective laser for breaking down considerable amounts of ink when used by a highly-trained laser specialist.
Why do I need multiple sessions?
All laser tattoo removal requires multiple sessions. Tattoos are comprised of layers of ink, stacked on top of one another. This thick concentration of pigment particles cannot be completely broken down in one session. At What Were You Inking? we will go over your entire tattoo with the laser, breaking up as much ink as possible in every session. Each session will produce some level of fading. We provide the best in Denver tattoo removal.
Will the tattoo completely disappear?
In many cases, yes. However, it is very important to know that over 100 types of tattoo inks are used and none of them are regulated. Without the standardization of tattoo inks it makes it difficult to predict the degree of any tattoo removal.
What is the cost?
We are competitive in our pricing and superior in our service. The cost of each session depends on the size of the tattoo being removed, with sessions as low as $150 per session. We will price each session during a free consultation visit however we can give a rough estimate over the phone. For purposes of pricing, we categorize each tattoo as small, medium, or large. Discounts are given to individuals with multiple tattoos being removed at the same time. Small tattoos are approximately 4 sq. inches ( 2in x 2in, 1in x 4in) or less. A medium tattoo is 16 sq inches (4in x 4in, 2in x 8in). A large tattoo is 36 sq inches (6in x 6in, 4in x 9in). Any tattoo larger than 36 sq inches is custom priced per session.
What is the What Were You Inking? Guarantee?
When you partner with What Were You Inking?, The Denver Tattoo Removal Experts, we guarantee you will love the results! After completing the number of treatments we recommend, if your tattoo is still visible we will continue with additional laser treatments for up to one year following your last paid treatment. There will be no additional cost to you!
How many sessions will I need?
Each person and every tattoo is unique. Most laser tattoo removals take between 5-10 sessions. The number of sessions needed to remove a tattoo depends on many individual factors:
- Immune system – Just like some people recover from illness faster, some people will have a quicker removal process. Your body will break down the pigment at its own rate.
- Skin type – While most skin types are treatable, skin types on the lower end of the Fitzpatrick Scale typically have a greater success rate with tattoo removal. Some people will have a more visibly reduced appearance of tattoo after just one treatment.
- Age of tattoo – Older tattoos can be removed with fewer treatments than newer tattoos. This does not mean there will necessarily be different levels of success between new and older tattoos, simply the newer the tattoo the more likely more treatments may be necessary for removal.
- Color of ink – Certain colors are easier to remove than others. Black, red, dark orange and dark blue tattoos usually respond relatively quickly to laser treatments. Green, purple, brown, light orange and light blue may require more visits.
- Density of ink – The darker outlines of a tattoo take more sessions to remove while the shaded portion of a tattoo is easily removed. The more ink used per square inch in a tattoo the more sessions required for removal.
- Type of ink – Inks used for tattoos are not regulated so there are many inks effecting the skin in different ways. Typically, amateur ink will respond at a faster rate than professional ink.
- The depth of ink – Professional tattoos are deeper in the skin than amateur tattoos and will therefore require more laser treatments for removal. Cover up work will require more treatments due to the multiple layers of ink.
Stages of tattoo removal?
After your initial consultation and first visit, you will return every 4 to 6 weeks. It may take several visits to see significant results.
You will notice the black and darker color inks fading faster than the brighter color inks such as red and blue.
After 5 to 10 visits most of the ink will be absorbed by your body. While some stubborn colors may not be removed entirely, your tattoo should be barely or not visible at all!
Side Effects and Risks
Will the laser procedure scar my skin?
No. The Astanza Trinity Laser (Q-switched Nd:YAG) will not scar the skin for two reasons. First, the laser is non-ablative and does not penetrate deep enough to cause scarring. Second, the laser only targets tattoo pigment leaving surrounding cells and tissue undamaged. There is no need to be concerned about scarring unless you are taking certain medications, which our specialist will discuss with you during your consultation.
Is it painful?
Each tattoo removal session is much quicker than tattoo application. Patients compare the procedure to a rubber band being snapped against their skin. Our advanced in-treatment cooling systems assures you a comfortable experience. We do offer a topical pain relief cream however, most patients choose not to use it.
What side effects might I experience?
Most patients experience some redness, swelling, and minor blistering of the skin after a laser treatment. These side effects are temporary and your skin will heal completely. We provide our patients detailed after-care instructions to help them manage their skin after the treatment.
Please call the denver tattoo removal experts at What Were You Inking? to schedule a free consultation at 303.455.5900 or click here.
What Were You Inking?, The Denver Tattoo Removal Experts is located in Lo-Hi at 2544 15th St, Denver CO 80211.